Just like breast feeding, pumping is a skill that you learn. When first trying a breast pump, most mothers are only able to dispense a few drops of milk. With the proper practice and knowledge, the mother will be more efficient at pumping.
Preparing the breast pump
- Warm compresses, gentle massages of the breast and gentle nipple stimulation will help to increase a quick let down.
- You should always relax while doing breast massages during pumping. Some mothers prefer to close their eyes then think about nursing the baby, imagining the baby in their arms. The more relaxed a mother is, the better let down she'll have and the more milk will be dispensed.
- Your first attempts at pumping should be considered practice sessions with learning to use the breast pump as the goal, not how much milk is actually dispensed.
- When you use a hand pump, quick, short pumps at the start is stimulating and will imitate more closely the way a baby breast feeds. Once the let down occurs and milk starts to flow freely, long, steadier strokes are more effective and less tiring.
- When you learn to pump, you should practice for 5 minutes on a side at least once or twice a day. Always pick the least stressful part of your day for pumping.
Relaxing and accepting that the pump is your friend is the single most important thing that a mother can do. There are several things that a mother can do to help herself relax, such as putting a picture of the baby on the pump, playing cards or a game with friends, watching television, read books, or talk on the phone. Simply watching the collection bottle is not helpful and will probably put more stress on you than you actually need.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Nurture-Elle Sizing Guide
We recommend that you simply order the size you are used to wear. If you are in between sizes, it's usually advisable to go up to the next size.
Si vous êtes entre deux tailles, vous pouvez commander la taille que vous êtes habituée à porter. Il est généralement conseillé de réduire à la taille suivante.